When David Rosenhan asked mock patients to infiltrate a mental facility he found that they had some difficulty in getting back out. | Homework Help
When David Rosenhan asked mock patients to infiltrate a mental facility he found that they had some difficulty in getting back out. After mental health professionals had labeled these individuals as schizophrenic they had a difficult time seeing the normalcy of the patients behaviors. It is nonetheless true, though, that diagnosis and identification of mental disorders aids in developing a prognosis and treatment plans for those experience psychological conflict and/or disturbances.
1. Do diagnostic labels hinder or enhance treatment? How so?
2. Can people with mental disorders escape the potentially harmful consequences of being labeled sick or mentally ill?
3. Do those diagnosed and labeled have the right to keep their diagnosis private? From whom? In what circumstances should that right be disregarded?
4. Would knowing an acquaintance had a diagnosable psychological disorder change your perception of them? Family member? Potential spouse? How so?
5. Randomly select a diagnostic label from the chapter (please do not choose Neurodevelopmental disorders (Autism Spectrum disorders, Dyslexia, ADHD, ADD), list the specific behaviors, cognitions, and qualities needed to diagnosis this disorder. How do you think you would feel if you were diagnosed with this disorder? How would you cope? How might it affect your family?