What term is used to describe aIDition of new bone tissue | Homework Help
A Case Study on Bone Tissue Structure and Repair
Mrs. Debbie Morgan is a 45-year-old female who works as a stocking clerk for a local home improvement store. While she was at work today a large box of metal rivets fell from a 20-ft.- high overhead shelf, striking her outstretched arm and knocking her to the ground. The ambulance personnel reported that she had lost quite a bit of blood at the accident scene and was “knocked out” when they arrived. To minimize further hemorrhage, the paramedics applied a pressure bandage to her arm.
You meet the paramedics as they bring Mrs. Morgan into the emergency room and begin to assess her for injuries. She is awake and alert, but complaining of severe left arm and back pain, plus she has a “killer headache.” To fully examine her injuries you remove four blood-soaked bandages from her arm. You notice a large open wound on her arm with what appears to be bone tissue sticking out of the skin. She also has bruises covering her left shoulder, left wrist, and lower back. To determine the extent of her injuries Mrs. Morgan undergoes several x-rays, which reveal the following:
1) fracture of the left humerus at the proximal diaphysis, 2) depressed fracture of the occipital bone, 3) fracture of the 3rd lumbar vertebral body.
1. One way bones are classified is by their shape. How would you classify the bones fractured by Mrs. Morgan?
2. The body of Mrs. Morgan’s vertebra is fractured. What type of bone tissue makes up the majority of the vertebral body? Describe the structure and function of this type of bone.
3. The diaphysis of Mrs. Morgan’s humerus is fractured. What type of bone makes up the majority of the diaphysis of long bones like the humerus? Describe the layers of bone tissue found here.
4. Most connective tissue, including bone, is highly vascular. Which anatomical structures in Mrs. Morgan’s compact bone house blood vessels? What sign or symptom in Mrs. Morgan’s case is directly related to disruption of these structures by her bone fractures? How is the sign or symptom related to these anatomical structures?
5. Within days after a fracture, a “soft callus” of fibrocartilage forms. What fibers are found in this type of cartilage? Identify the cells required for fibrocartilaginous callus formation and list their functions.
6. As a fracture is repaired, new bone is aIDed to the injury site. What term is used to describe the aIDition of new bone tissue? Identify which bone cell is responsible for this process and explain how it occurs.
7.. In the final stage of bone repair, some of the osseous tissue must be broken down and removed. What term is used to define the breaking down of osseous tissue? Which bone cell would be best suited for this task?
8. The extracellular matrix (ECM) of bone is considered to be a composite material made up of organic and inorganic matter. What makes up the organic and inorganic portions of the matrix? Describe the cellular mechanism involved in breaking down this matrix; include the bone cell required for the process.
Justified ideas and responses through appropriate examples and references from textbooks, Web sites, and other sources and cited the sources in the APA format.
We've got everything to become your favourite writing service
Money back guarantee
Your money is safe. Even if we fail to satisfy your expectations, you can always request a refund and get your money back.
We don’t share your private information with anyone. What happens on our website stays on our website.
Our service is legit
We provide you with a sample paper on the topic you need, and this kind of academic assistance is perfectly legitimate.
Get a plagiarism-free paper
We check every paper with our plagiarism-detection software, so you get a unique paper written for your particular purposes.
We can help with urgent tasks
Need a paper tomorrow? We can write it even while you’re sleeping. Place an order now and get your paper in 8 hours.
Pay a fair price
Our prices depend on urgency. If you want a cheap essay, place your order in advance. Our prices start from $11 per page.