Solution-What percentage of the total body surface has been | Homework Help
An elderly woman was cooking a meal on a gas stove. She was wearing a long sleeved blouse which accidentally caught on fire. Luckily her teenage grandson was up in his bedroom on the second floor of the house. He heard her shouts, ran downstairs and saw that portions of her right arm, trunk, and right leg were engulfed in flames. He thought quickly, ran to get a towel, and managed to extinguish the flames. He then immediately called 911. The paramedics arrived shortly and transported the woman to the hospital.
During the emergency room examination it was noted that 50% of her right arm, 25% of the whole back, and 25% of her right leg were involved. The burned areas appeared black and charred, with patches of white and yellow. The skin was dry to touch. The patient reported no pain or sensation to these the burned areas. The patient also displays reIDened, painful skin, but no blisters on 50% of her left arm. She exhibited labored breathing and made whistling sounds when breathing, and complained of being cold. The physician immediately put her on intravenous (IV) fluids, oxygen, treated the burned area with topical antibiotics and dressed the wounds.
1. What percentage of the total body surface has been burned? Show your calculations.
2. What type of burn has the woman received? Explain your answer.
3. List all of the layers of skin damaged.
4. Why does the patient report no pain or sensation in some burned areas, but not others?
5. Other than the obvious burned areas, what other type of burn/fire related injuries might the physician be concerned with?
6. Why is it vital to the burn patient to be given fluids? Explain your answer by relating it to one of the functions of skin. Be specific as you can.
7. Why is the possibility of infection a major concern? Explain your answer by relating it to the functions of skin. Be specific as you can.
8. Why is the patient complaining of being cold? Explain your answer by relating it to one of the functions of skin.
We've got everything to become your favourite writing service
Money back guarantee
Your money is safe. Even if we fail to satisfy your expectations, you can always request a refund and get your money back.
We don’t share your private information with anyone. What happens on our website stays on our website.
Our service is legit
We provide you with a sample paper on the topic you need, and this kind of academic assistance is perfectly legitimate.
Get a plagiarism-free paper
We check every paper with our plagiarism-detection software, so you get a unique paper written for your particular purposes.
We can help with urgent tasks
Need a paper tomorrow? We can write it even while you’re sleeping. Place an order now and get your paper in 8 hours.
Pay a fair price
Our prices depend on urgency. If you want a cheap essay, place your order in advance. Our prices start from $11 per page.