Solution-What organ system has the function of protecting | Homework Help
1. Which of the following would not represent the study of physiology?
Measuring the respiratory rate of a person after a mile sprint.
Calculating the daily caloric intake of an athlete
Dissecting the kidney to observe the interior.
Determining the fasting blood sugar level of a patient.
Analyzing the EKG of a patient.
2. Which of the following describes an organ?
Molecules organized into a living unit
One or more cells with a specific function
At least two cell types organized for a specific function
One tissue type organized for a specific function
Two or more tissue types organized for a specific function
3. What organ system has the function of protecting and supporting body organs?
4. What is the correct anatomical term for the neck area of the human body?
5. Place the following in correct sequence from the simplest to most complex:1.molecules2.atoms3.tissues4.cells 5.organs
6. What organ is considered part of the digestive system because it is responsible for the breakdown of some food types?
7. Which of the following is a correct statement about homeostasis?
The effector sends the stimulus to the control center
The receptor is enhanced by the control center
The response causes disease
The receptor sends the stimulus to the control center
The control center sends the message to the receptor
8. What is the process of removal of wastes from the body?
9. The human body responds to a lack of supply of oxygen by rapidly producing red blood cells. What is this is an example of?
Negative feedback mechanism to restore homeostasis
Positive feedback mechanism to restore homeostasis
A homeostatic imbalance that will result in disease.
A response independent of homeostasis
Negative homeostasis that increases the oxygen supply
10. What plane divides the body into anterior and posterior sections?
11. In anatomical position, the great toe is located on what side of the foot?
12. A scientific experiment was conducted to assess the effectiveness of a new compound in reducing a high fever. Fifty patients received sugar pills instead of the new compound, and 50 patients were given the new compound. Which of the following statements is true?
The 50 patients receiving the sugar pills are called the experimental group
The 50 patients receiving the new compound are called the experimental group
The independent variable is the temperature
The measured results would be the amount of compound given
The control group is the patients receiving the new compound
13. Which of the following is a correct statement about cells of the human body?
They do not need oxygen.
They do not reproduce.
They are identical in shape and size.
They specialize in function.
They contain cell walls.
14. Cells that are involved in activities requiring excessive energy will have an abundance of what organelle?
15. What is the formation of a small pocket around a liquid substance by the plasma membrane?
16. What are the cellular extensions that move substances along the cell surface called?
17. Mitosis results in the formation of which of the following?
Proteins necessary for survival
Two daughter nuclei that have the same DNA as the mother nucleus
Stored energy necessary for cellular functions
Four daughter cells with half the DNA of the mother nucleus.
18. Which of the following is a function of a plasma membrane protein?
Molecular transport through the membrane
To form a lipid bilayer
19. What are the four major tissue types?
Connective, cartilage, muscle and bone
Bone, muscle, epithelia, nervous
Bone, muscle, connective, epithelia
Epithelia, muscle, nervous, connective
Epithelia, muscle, blood, nervous
20. Which of the following describes epithelial tissue?
It is highly vascular.
It has a basement membrane.
It is usually acellular.
It contains a number of neuron types.
It does not regenerate.
21. Which of the following describes DNA synthesis?
Nucleotides separate into three different codons.
DNA uncoils and separates into 2 nucleotide chains.
DNA clumps and forms a double helix.
DNA replicates during metaphase.
DNA leaves the nucleus through the nuclear pores.
22. The shape of the external ear is maintained by what tissue?
Stratified squamous tissue
23. Thyroid glands secrete their products directly into the blood rather than through ducts. What is this kind of gland called?
24. What is the first step in tissue repair?
Replacement of destroyed tissue by the same kind of cells
Proliferation of fibrous connective tissue
Formation of scar tissue
Repair of blood vessels
25. What is scar tissue?
Weakly woven reticular fibers
Dense connective tissue
Regenerated epithelial tissue
A tangle of damaged nerve fibers