Solution-Explain the role of bone in calcium homeostasis | Homework Help
Chief Complaint: 75-year-old woman who fell on her left hip.
History: Judy Smith, a 75-year-old white female, was brought to the emergency room by her son after falling in her kitchen. She has had no major health problems in the past, but she has led an inactive lifestyle and has smoked cigarettes for over 40 years. Judy stated that she spilled water on the kitchen floor while making breakfast and forgot it was there, only minutes later to walk to the refrigerator and slip on the spilled water. When Judy fell, she landed on the left side of her body. She was given an injection to help relieve her pain and taken to the radiology department for an X-ray of her left leg and hip.
Physical Examination: The patient was alert but in pain, she was able to identify the time and day, and was responding appropriately to questions. Heart and lung sounds were normal, and abdominal sounds were reduced. There were no signs of trauma to the head, neck, torso, arms, or right leg. The left thigh and hip were extremely tender and were immobilized by a leg splint.
Radiology Report: The X-ray of the left hip revealed a complete, transverse fracture of the left proximal femur. No other fractures were noted in the left leg. There were also long-term osteoporotic changes in the femur and tibia.
1) Explain what is meant by a “complete, transverse fracture of the left proximal femur”.
2) Judy’s femur and tibia showed signs of osteoporosis. How do you think an osteoporotic bone would differ on an x-ray compared to a healthy bone? In one paragraph, explain the role of bone in calcium homeostasis.
3) As Judy’s bone heals and repairs over time, it will undergo many changes. Describe, in detail, the steps a bone must go through to repair.
4) Why is Judy a candidate for osteoporosis?
5) What bones are most commonly the site of osteoporosis? Relate this to why we often “shrink” as we age.
We've got everything to become your favourite writing service
Money back guarantee
Your money is safe. Even if we fail to satisfy your expectations, you can always request a refund and get your money back.
We don’t share your private information with anyone. What happens on our website stays on our website.
Our service is legit
We provide you with a sample paper on the topic you need, and this kind of academic assistance is perfectly legitimate.
Get a plagiarism-free paper
We check every paper with our plagiarism-detection software, so you get a unique paper written for your particular purposes.
We can help with urgent tasks
Need a paper tomorrow? We can write it even while you’re sleeping. Place an order now and get your paper in 8 hours.
Pay a fair price
Our prices depend on urgency. If you want a cheap essay, place your order in advance. Our prices start from $11 per page.