Self Reflection Essay
Write a 5-6 page, double spaced essay in which you discuss your strengths and weaknesses as a
student. Do not take up space with your name, the class, the date, etc. Provide a separate cover
page with that information. Do not “cheat” and use 1.5 inch margins; 1 inch margins only. Don’t
forget to staple all pages. Submissions that do not meet these requirements will not be accepted.
Be sure to write about what you do well! We all have individual talents and by drawing on your
strengths you can devise strategies to overcome areas that need improvement. For example, if
you dislike reading but are super-organized, you can assign yourself a specific, small number of
pages to read every day rather than tackling a long reading all at once.
To write the essay, answer the following questions:
• Introduction – Briefly describe yourself. 10%
• Why are you in college? What do you hope to learn? 10%
• What are your long-term goals? (Be sure to address goals beyond just a specific career that address your interests and values.) 10%
• What are your academic strengths? Which of these will help you be successful in college? 10%
• Have you ever held a leadership position? What did you learn from that experience? (Remember that a leadership position isn’t just holding an office or
managing people at work. There are many ways to be a leader.) 10%
• What classes are you taking this semester that are the most challenging? How will you handle these challenges? (Think about studying, test-taking, reading, writing,
and time management skills that you already have as well as those you may need
to improve.) 10%
• What are some challenges you may face during your entire college career (for example, finances, working, family, etc.)? How will you handle them? 10%
• Most of your classes will require that you conduct research. Have you ever thought about how research in any given field benefits the community? How so,
especially in the field in which you are interested? 10%
• Conclusion – express how you think that having reflected on these questions can help you get your degree and meet your lifelong goals. 10%
Grading: You will be graded on meeting the length requirements, addressing all of the questions
above, as well as grammar, punctuation, and syntax. 10%
If you have any questions, please ask as soon as possible.
I am currently a Chief Warrant Officer Three in the US Army and have been for the last 20 years and plan to continue for another five to seven years before I retire. My profession in the military is that of a Field Artillery Targeting Technician. Here’s a brief description, “The Field Artillery Warrant Officer advises the Commander and staff on all matters relative to the employment of target acquisition assets and the Army’s targeting methodology. Synchronizes and coordinates the Army’s targeting process and Joint Fires at all echelons. Plans, organizes, implements, monitors, and evaluates operations, threat environment, maintenance and advice on the technical/tactical employment of Target Acquisition sensors”
I’m currently stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas working as the Field Artillery Intelligence Officer (FAIO). The home of dry lands, hot days, and very little rainfall, nicknamed The Sun City and that it is. I can’t complain much though, it is rated in the top 10 safest cities to live in. Being that I am married and have been for fourteen years with three beautiful daughters (eleven, six, and two) safety and location are key. I am originally from the Virginia but consider North Carolina my home. I have an AA in General Studies from American Military University and I’m currently a student at The University of Texas at El Paso pursuing a Bachelors in Liberal. My future job plan is to work as an Government employee in the Information Security realm specifically Cybersecurity. With the job that I do now I know there is potential for me once I retire with the education (degree) to match my experience. I don’t have any interesting hobbies, I enjoy spending all the time I have with my family sense my job often keeps me away for months at a time. We love going to Dave and Busters and bowling, we are pretty competitive.