Review the scientific method tutorial | Homework Help
Design an experiment in which you will test the effect of an acidic fluid on enzymatic activity. (Recall: enzymes are proteins.) To complete this project, it may be useful for you to review the Scientific Method Tutorial (found the Course Content section of the classroom under the Science Learning Center link) and the Scientific Method lab (Lab 1), so that you can better understand how to design an experiment. It may also be helpful for you to review Lab 4 (Enzymes). As you review Lab 4, you will be reminded that there are several factors that impact enzymatic activity: pH, temperature, and amount of reagent. Feel free to refer to observations and information from Lab 4 as you complete the questions required in the Final Applied Project (see the questions below).
As you design your experiment for this project, please remember that you are trying to examine how an acidic fluid will modify the outcome of an enzymatic reaction. To successfully complete this project, you will need to identify the question(s) being asked in your experiment and the hypothesis that you are testing. In your experimental design, you must clearly explain what you are doing. That means that you will need to identify the enzyme and the acid, as well as explain your experimental protocol (this information will help you to answer question 2). You must also thoroughly explain how the aIDition of the acidic fluid impacted the overall reaction process (this information will help you to answer question 4).
Hint: Keep in mind that the acid will change the environmental conditions of the experiment (for example, a low pH value could change the shape of the active site on the enzyme protein), without directly participating in the reaction.
please aIDress the following:
1. What question are you asking? Clearly state your hypothesis.
2. Design an experiment. Provide a detailed account of the materials and methods used to conduct the experiment. Also include the methods for data collection and analysis.
3. Conduct the experiment and record your results below. What did you observe? Which samples showed bubbling?
4. Use your knowledge about factors that effect enzymatic activity to interpret your results. It may be necessary for you to refer to your lab manual and/or other resources. What effect did the acid have on the enzyme?
5. Was your hypothesis supported? What is your conclusion? Explain your answer.
6. Cite all references used to complete your Final Applied Project.