Locate a study that uses qualitative methods. Note: If the article that you selected will not allow you to thoroughly address all of the points required for this discussion, you will need to search for another study using qualitative methods.
Address the following:
- Identify and describe key concepts in the research.
- Describe and evaluate the data collection method or methods. Was the data collection method appropriate to allow the researcher to answer the research question? Why, or why not?
- Describe and evaluate the data analysis procedure or procedures. Was the data analysis procedure appropriate to allow the researcher to answer the research question?
- Explain the importance of appropriate data collection and data analysis procedures to scientific merit.
- List the persistent link for the article at the end before the reference list.
- Cite all sources in APA style and provide an APA-formatted reference list at the end of your post.
Read the posts of your peers and respond to one, addressing the following:
- Follow the persistent link provided by your peer to read the article being discussed.
- Using the language of research, explain how you agree or disagree with your peer’s evaluation, offering your own suggestions for improving the research design.
Peer Post: Tamara W.
The key concept in this research is to better understand whether or not a specific psychodynamic treatment, Lycanian psychoanalysis, increases certain functions and skills within individuals with autism (Vechiatto, 2016). In order to measure the effectiveness, researchers used a Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales; this behavior scale focuses on communication, daily living skills, Socialization and Motor Skills (Vechiatto, 2016, p.53). I believe that this was a good way to measure; the scale was able to separate the deficits within the individual and rate them to see if there were any improvements based off of simple questions. The VABS was also very efficient; a better option could have been using separate tests to directly measure and place a percentage on improvement. Data collection and analysis is important to any research in order to effectively show a functional relationship between the intervention and the behavior. In reference to scientific merit, without proper data collection and analysis it is not good research; without showing consistent quantitative data in this type of research there is no scientific merit.
Persistent Link: https://doaj.org/article/719cdccbda7241aca089a2118e117a4d
Vecchiato, M. (2016). Evaluating the efficacy of psychodynamic treatment on a single case of autism. A qualitative research. Research in Psychotherapy: Psychopathology, Process and Outcome, 19(1). doi: 10.4081/ripppo.2016.194