explain contributing factors to gender gaps in different social domains
Answer each question and number each response. Use your own words and support your answers with examples from the article. Your responses should include content from the readings, not just opinions. Do NOT use long quotes from the article. For 5-point questions, respond in 1-2 paragraphs.
Be sure to support your answers by providing specific examples from the reading and citing the source.
Your citations MUST include the last names of the author(s), date of publication, and the specific page number if you use direct quotes.
Answer the following questions based upon this article:
- In the section “Executive Summary,” the authors explain contributing factors to gender gaps in different social domains, and posited that gaps may continue to exist “partly because they’re rooted in the essentialist belief that women and men have fundamentally different aptitudes and are accordingly suited for fundamentally different types of roles (e.g., occupations, majors, relationships). These widely diffused beliefs work at once to (a) encourage women and men to make choices that are consistent with such stereotypical views (i.e., the ‘socialization mechanism), and (b) encourage managers and those in authority to allocate occupations and other roles in accord with such stereotypical views (i.e., the “discrimination mechanism”)”(page 5)
- Explain in your own words what is meant by an “essentialist belief” about perceived differences between men and women.
- How does this belief affect the types of choices men and women make in their lives?
- The Pathwaysreport contains extensive information about gender gaps in various societal domains: education, health, employment, earnings, poverty, safety net, occupational segregation, discrimination, workplace sexual harassment, and social networks. Choose threedomains that are examined in the report. For each domain, answer the following questions:
- What gender gaps currently exist in this social domain?
- What caused the gaps?
- What are some policy suggestions to narrow or close the gaps?
- From the “Policy” section (pp. 47-49), name two factors that have impeded the US in making further progress in increasing gender equality. What are threethings that the US could do to reduce gender inequality?