The goal of the assignment is to investigate adisability, understand the limitations of communication with the disability, and apply adaptations to communication style when obtaining a history and explaining an imaging procedure.
The paper should follow guidelines of the American Psychological Association. It is recommended that the student obtains a copy of the APA publication manual. The student can also find helpful tips in the APA Help folder on the course homepage.
- must have a MSU cover page
- is to be a single Word document only
- 3-5 pages,
- double spaced,
- 1″ margins
- Times New Roman, Arial, or Calibri 12 point font
- References appropriately cited in the text of the paper according to APA guidelines see APA 6th ed chapter 6.
- A minimum of three references submitted on a separate references page.
With the information you find and information from your reading assignment and internet websites (not Wikipedia), address the following:
- Describe the nature of the disability. What are the characteristics of the disability? How is it diagnosed? At what point of the disability is a person considered legally “disabled”? Does it affect certain populations (men more than women, etc.) How does the disability affect the overall health of the person? How does the disability affect the psychosocial aspects of the patient?’
- Describe communication barriers with a person with the disability. How does the disability limit the person’s ability to communicate? How does the disability affect the person’s understanding of what is being communicated to him/her? Does the disability only affect the input of information, only affect the output of information, or both? (for example, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) only affects the motor neurons so information input is understood but the patient has difficulty with the output of their communication with others).
- Discuss accommodations for disability. What accommodations can be made to help communicate with the person? Are there certain technologies that can aid in communication? Are there changes to voice tone, cadence, word usage that would need to be used in communication? What is the verbal or non-verbal response if your instructions are not understood?
- With the information you gathered from above, describe how you would gather a health/allergy history and perform a medical imaging procedure on the patient with the selected disability. Select a diagnostic procedure of your choosing. Name the procedure and explain how you would accommodate or adapt the procedure for the selected disability using the information you have just researched. Include how you would take an allergic or medical history. How would you ensure that the patient understands what you are communicating? What methods would you use or not use to provide care?
Rubric Grade Must Follow:
- In-text Citation – the citation for each article in the reference list will be written correctly in the text according to APA guidelines
- Reference List – The reference list will be written correctly according to APA guidelines
- Grammar– the student’s report is written using proper grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling for a baccalaurate level course
- Format – the paper will follow guidelines such as double-spaced, margins, correct length, etc.
- Tone – the student’s report is written using accurate and correctly spelled terminology and with the appropriate tone for a baccalaurate level course
- Described the nature of the disabilty.
- Described communication barriers with a person with the disability
- Discuss accomodations for disability
- Described how the student gather a health/allergy history and perform a medical imaging procedure on the patient with the selected disability.
Rubric Total ScoreTotal