Create an original model of hemoglobin | Homework Help
Hemoglobin is an essential protein necessary for the transport of oxygen in the body. Biochemists study the molecular activities necessary for the exchange and transport of oxygen between the body cells and lungs.
You should compile your work for this task in a single document (e.g., Microsoft Word, Google Document) that includes diagrams, models, text explanations, and references. If a requirement asks for an explanation, you should provide a written response in a narrative style (i.e., complete sentences rather than bullet points).
A. Create an original model of hemoglobin, with clear labels, that shows how oxygen is carried by the molecule.
1. Explain two differences between the oxygenated and deoxygenated states of hemoglobin.
2. Explain how pH impacts the binding and release of oxygen by hemoglobin.
a. Create an original graph that demonstrates the relationship between hemoglobin’s oxygen binding and oxygen concentration at different pH levels.
3. Create an original diagram, or series of diagrams, with clear labels, that compares the biochemical (protein) structure of hemoglobin to myoglobin.
B. Demonstrate your understanding of sickle cell anemia by doing the following:
1. Create an original diagram that demonstrates the amino acid difference between normal and sickle forms of hemoglobin.
2. Create an original diagram that demonstrates the difference between normal and sickle red blood cells at the cellular level.
3. Explain how diseased cells differ from normal red blood cells in their capacity to transport oxygen.
4. Explain the molecular inheritance of sickle cell anemia by doing the following:
a. Identify the type of inheritance seen in sickle cell anemia.
b. Create an original diagram (e.g., pedigree charts, Punnett squares), or series of simple diagrams, that demonstrates how sickle cell genes are inherited.