Blood and cell components | Homework Help
1) The liquid portion of blood is known as ______. Most of the plasma comprises of ______ that serves as a solvent and carries heat. ______ like sodium, potassium and ______ serve to manage the osmotic balance in the blood. The protein ______ helps to manage the thickness of the blood. ______ assists in clotting the blood. Finally ______ serve as antibodies in the blood.
2) The three kinds of formed elements within the blood are ______, ______, and ______. The ______ contain hemoglobin and serve to transport oxygen. The white cells, also known as ______, serve to make antibodies and to do phagocytosis. The platelets help blood to clot that is called ______. Five different types of WBC are ______, ______, ______, ______, and ______.
3) The platelets release different factors that trigger a protein already in the blood, ______. This then becomes thrombin. The thrombin transforms fibrinogen to ______ that causes the blood cells in the area to be tangled in a protein web. This is known as the ______. Sometimes a clot forms within a blood vessel. This is known as a ______. If this clot moves from that position elsewhere in the body, it is termed as a ______.
4) Type A blood has ______ on the surface of the red blood cells. Type B blood has ______ on the surface of the red blood cells. Type AB blood has ______ and ______ on the surface of the red blood cells. A type AB person can receive blood from ______. A type O person may receive blood from ______.
5) The heart is in the miIDle thoracic cavity, known as the ______. The membrane around the heart is the ______. The thick muscular wall of the heart is the ______. The smooth inner lining of the heart is the ______.