Assignment 1 – Ethics Autobiography
Assignment 1 – Ethics Autobiography (20%)
1. To explore how to acculturate to the profession of psychology and its ethical traditions.
2. To begin developing an ethical identity as students explore the relevant code of ethics and discuss cases.
1. This is an individual assignment. Students will explore the aspects of their background that might make it easier or harder to acculturate into the mental health professions.
2. Some specific questions to address:
a. How do you define professional behaviour?
b. What is your idea of right and wrong professional behaviour? What is your family and culture’s idea of right and wrong professional behaviour? Give examples.
c. Who do you wish to emulate, both professionally and ethically?
d. What aspects of the field are most compatible with you as a person, and which aspects are least compatible?
e. What is the greatest boost to your effectiveness and why? What would make you the happiest working as a mental health professional?
f. What is the greatest threat to your effectiveness and why? What would you most upset or afraid of working as a mental health professional?
g. What are some of the challenges that you may foresee in acculturating into the mental health profession based on your understanding of the BPS Code of Ethics and your own reflection of your background? Give examples.
3. The length of the Ethics Autobiography: a maximum of 5 pages (+-2), excluding Title Page, References and Appendixes.