Aircraft Rudder Repair Inspection Process Analysis Report You have been tasked with a repair on an aircraft rudder. The aircraft has been sat stationary fo
Aircraft Rudder Repair Inspection Process Analysis Report You have been tasked with a repair on an aircraft rudder. The aircraft has been sat stationary for a while. You have to make a full report on what your recommendations will be based upon your findings when you take the item apart.
1. You notice hydraulic fluid leaking from a pipe , why could this be? What are the likely causes?
2. The rudder is in poor condition, there is a dent and corrosion, what are the signs of corrosion on aluminium components? how could you fix this (think about making an insert and cutting out the damage) you need to find the details of the metal, in this case 2020, 1.2mm T6. What does this mean?
3. You will repair with countersunk rivets, your repair manual and supervisor will advise you on the correct rivets to use but when countersinking the repair patch should the rivet be below the surface, flush with the surface or above (proud) of the surface? How can you check that the formed rivet is to the correct size, which tool could you use….(clue…”Go/No go gauge)…How does this gauge work?
4. You have to check the castings which attach the rudder to the airframe for cracks and damage. How would you do this, what method of non destructive testing would you use and how do you do this?
5. You test the bearings in the castings, what are you looking for in terms of wear, what indications are there that the bearings may need replacing?
6. there is a cable system in place and it runs through some pulleys which operate the rudder, you need to check the condition of the pulleys and the cable. What signs of damage are you looking for? How do you check the cable? Assuming the cable and pulleys are in serviceable condition you have to reassemble them. How do you know how much tension should be on the cable and what piece of equipment do you use to check the tension is correct.
7. Your repair will require sealer, which sealer is suitable?
Your report should be detailed and laid out professionally as your supervisor has to present it to the management. There is a lot of information required to successfully restore this rudder. Include as much as you can but make sure its correct.