Identify the characteristics of individuals with intellectual disabilities.
TEXTBOOK: (Human Exceptionality: Schools, Community, and Family
By Michael Hardman, Clifford Drew and Winston Egan
11th Edition, Cengage Learning)
1. Identify the major components of the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) definition and classification system for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
2. Identify the characteristics of individuals with intellectual disabilities.
3. Identify five skills areas that should be addressed in programs for elementary children and for adolescents with intellectual disabilities.
4. Identify four ways in which speech, language, and communication are interrelated.
5. Identify three factors that are thought to cause language disorders and stuttering.
6. Describe how treatment approaches fro language disorders generally differ for children and for adults.
7. Describe the variability and severity of characteristics within the autism spectrum
8. Identify the primary impairments present in children with autism spectrum disorders.
9. Identify the factors related to the biological theoretical view regarding the causes of autism spectrum disorders
10. Identify the major approaches to the treatment of autism spectrum disorder.
6. language disorder
11.receptive language disorders
12. expressive language disorders
17. savant syndrome
18. Asperger’s syndrome
20. Pervasive developmental disorders