Assignment 2 Directions for Statistical Analysis of Community Health Data Pecan Grove, TX
Please follow the instructions verbatim and use the references as well. The city I chose is Pecan Grove, TX. I’ve included the template to be used for this assignment. The sources for data are in the instructions, please use them but you may add sources if necessary. I’ve highlighted all content areas that should be included when filling out the template. Please do not change the template in any way including the font, size, or color. I’ve included my windshield survey to be utilized as well to fill out the template.
Assignment 2 Directions for Statistical Analysis of Community Health Data
- Use the course template. If you do NOT use the Course Template there will be a 10- point grade penalty per assignment, and you will be required to resubmit within 48 hours or a zero will be given.
- Review your subjective data from your windshield survey and interview with key informants. In this assignment you will supplement subjective data with objective data.
- Gatherdata about your community and provide comparison data with the larger group.You may NOT use tables, charts or graphs for this data; use only narrative to describe the data. The following objective data must be included:
- Demographics: total population, age distribution, gender distribution, family characteristics (single parent, multi-family, etc.)
- Racial/ethnic characteristics
- Economy: unemployment rates, median income, poverty rate
- Education: high school completion rates, higher education statistics
- Other data, as indicated (air, water quality, crime rates, etc.)
- GatherObjective Data Specific to the Community Health Issues Identified from the Subjective Findings. NOTE: These data will serve as your “springboard” for your last paper in this sequence, your Community Health Nursing Intervention. Pay close attention to what your findings tell you. This information will indicate which community health resources (local, state, and/or national) can be mobilized to problem-solve.
- Analyze the subjective and objective findings
- What conclusions have you arrived at? Conclusions are based on a review of your subjective and objective findings. Consider:
- What impressions from your subjective observationswere unfounded/invalid?
- Given the objective data, what impressions were validated/substantiated?
- What cause-and-effect relationships did you discover/identify?
- Develop a Problem Analysis for Community/Zip Code which includes the following:
- Problem Correlates: These are factors that contribute to health problem. Example of Problem Correlate of Infant Malnutrition: Inadequate diet
- Relationship of Correlate to Problem: Example: Diets lacking in required nutrients contribute to malnutrition
- Data Supportive of Relationship: Refer to appropriate sections of the database and relevant research of the findings in current literature. Data in the third column could be local, state, or national statistics. Example: According to M.J (personal communication, date) all infants and children seen at the local Public Health Clinic are referred to the nutritionist because of poor diets Of infants measured 60% were in the lower percent for their weight/height (X Country Annual Report, 2014). According to the US Census Bureau (2014) in the US 25% of infants are malnourished compared to 35% in Dallas County.
- Community Health Nursing Diagnoses:
Write TWO priority community health nursingdiagnosesbased on your subjective and objective assessment findings from both assignment 1 and 2.Do not use NANDA.
- Use the following format (in bold) to structure your Community Health Nursing Diagnoses:
- Risk of (State the health problem or risk.)
- Among (Identify the population group affected.)
- Related to(State factors contributing to the health problem or associated risk.)
Reference: Shuster, George F., (2014). Community as Client: Assessment and Analysis.
In Stanhope, Marcia and Lancaster, Jeanette, Public Health Nursing (8th
ed., pg. 413). Saint Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Format: Health Risk/problem of (specific injury, illness, or potential of, complication of, etc.) among (specific population) related to (supporting evidence from your assessment findings).
- For example: Risk of asthma complications among children in SE Dallas County related to observations of overcrowded living conditions, lack of public transportation (may result in inability to access health care), high number of animals observed living in homes, poverty indications (may result in lack of access to medications).
- Considerations for CH Nursing Diagnosis:
- Your CHN DiagnosesMUST be something that a community/public health nurse can do something about.
- Note: Poverty is NOT a CHN diagnosis.
- Reference page: Follow the APA guidelines.
- APA focus for this paper:
- Complete the template for this assignment.
- Include in-text citation(s) of personal communications. Include in-text citations and reference community statistical information. You must cite and reference, otherwise it is plagiarism. Refer to course syllabus for consequences of plagiarism.
- Objective writing (for example, avoid biased language),
- Formal writing (for example, avoid use of contractions, numbers, etc.)
- Use appropriate sentence structure, grammar, and flow.
- Refer to the APA research guide: http://libguides.uta.edu/apa
- Refer to the APA on-line tutorial, as needed. (http://www.apastyle.org/learn/tutorials/basics-tutorial.aspx)
Follow all rubric information carefully to complete this assignment successfully.
Community Statistical Data sources: Consider the following websites when gathering data.
There are tutorials available to help you navigate to specific information for this assignment located here: http://libguides.uta.edu/c.php?g=829061&p=5929613. The tab is labeled “Statistical Analysis of Community Health Data”.
US Census Bureau:https://www.census.gov/
- Click your state under Quickfacts. Then in the search bar you can enter United States for national data, Texas for state data and then city (Pecan Grove) or county (Fort Bend county). Be sure to clear your search each time.
- Then scroll down and review social, economic, housing and demographic characteristics and compare city to county to state to nation.
CDC site for health stats:https://sortablestats.cdc.gov/#/
- 20 health indicators (by state: Texas)
- Click detail view to see health indicators by ethnicity/race
- Click map view to see for US
CDC site to obtain county level health stats:www.countyhealthrankings.org
- Click your state then click on your county…make sure to use rates so the data is comparable. Data for each state varies so you will need to look through the data for your state and county.
City County Data: http://www.city-data.com/
- Good site for basic data about zip code, demographics, mode of transportation, travel time to work, etc.
Crime stats: http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/
- You will need to do 2 searches
- First: State (state:Texas) and nation (nation: United States)
- Click US Total and your state
- Select variables: violent and property crime rates
- Select year (most recent year available)
- Click get table
- Second: State and city (state: Texas & city: Pecan Grove)
- Click all cities
- Click the cities you are interested in (cities: Richmond, Pecan Grove, Sugar Land, Katy, Rosenberg)
- Click Violent and property crime RATES
- Click the year.
- Click get table.
- Go to EPA site: http://www.epa.gov/
- Scroll down to Your Community (community: Pecan Grove)
- Enter your zip code and review findings (zip code: 77406)
- Also click variables on left column to see maps showing highest to lowest states
Your county and state health department may also have CH stats for zip codes, city, county and state, etc. reports) Most are by age, gender, race/ethnicity and region, county, city and/or Zip Code.